Half a Cheer for Carter

The obvious answer to John McCain’s recent, lame, anti-Obama soundbite, “Carter’s Second Term,” is that while Carter was no Gerald Ford, at least the man wasn’t as bad as Richard Nixon, the nearest recent historical parallel to George W. Bush. Though even that may be unfair to Nixon, who after all did not start the Vietnam War, and at least made peace with China. Moreover, despite his extravagant theories of executive power, Nixon at least disclaimed the right to lock up American citizens without charges or a trial, signing the Non-Detention Act of 1971. For the story behind that act, which the Bush legal team considers unconstitutional, see this piece [.pdf] by the indispensible Louis Fisher.

That said, the whole episode puts me in mind of Jim Henley’s tentative libertarian case for Jimmy Carter (see here, here, and here). As Jim wrote two years ago:

His administration deregulated trucking and air travel, market-friendly reforms that had huge, beneficial effects on American economy and life. (I’m old enough to remember when flight was for business travelers and the rich.) He appointed Paul Volcker to the Fed and backed his tight-money policies right through an election year.

I’m not convinced, nor is Jim, entirely. He runs through some of Carter’s bad points, like his godawful energy policy and his creation of two additional cabinet departments (one more than Reagan). I’d add the Desert One operation which, to read Mark Bowden’s account, was the craziest military operation approved by a president since the Bay of Pigs. Of course, Jimmuh’s unbearable sanctimony and self-righteousness shouldn’t count, but I’m sure it’s colored my assessment. But the fact that people reflexively rank Carter among the worst of the modern presidents says something about the bias toward presidential activism that warps our public debate.

Tags:

Posted on Jun 16, 2008 in Cult of the Presidency, Domestic Policy, Foreign Policy and Defense, Libertarianism | Comments

9 Responses to “Half a Cheer for Carter”

1. Posted by: Justin - 06/17/2008

Egypt-Israel peace treaty? Not *explicitly* libertarian from an American perspective, I suppose, but for many of the interventionist/Israel-centric types who bash Carter’s foreign policy, it seems like this should be a big mark in his favor.

2. Posted by: Tia - 06/17/2008

Sadat and Begin hammered out most of the peace plan on their own. Where they got stuck was in figuring out how to pay for all of it.

Their genius was to go to Carter and say, “Oh, Great White Father! Only YOU can bring peace to the Mid East!”

Jimmuh grinned like a peanut farmer and gave them the money. He does not have a clue to this day just how badly he was conned.

What has Jimmuh been up to lately that justifies his existence?

3. Posted by: Gene Healy » Archive » Jenkins on Carter - 06/03/2009

[...] written before than Jimmy Carter’s pious, sanctimonious, and off-putting public persona may have caused [...]

4. Posted by: Shopping Bags - 06/26/2013

Thank you for another magnificent article. The place else may anybody get that type of info in such an ideal means of writing? I’ve a presentation next week, and I am on the look for such info.

5. Posted by: Financial Planners - 06/27/2013

Thanks a bunch for sharing this with all people you actually know what you’re speaking about! Bookmarked. Please additionally seek advice from my web site =). We will have a hyperlink exchange arrangement among us!

6. Posted by: restaurant timisoara - 06/29/2013

With havin so much content and articles do you ever run into any
    issues of plagorism or copyright infringement?
    My website has a lot of exclusive content I’ve either written myself or outsourced but it appears a lot of it is popping it up all over the internet without my agreement. Do you know any solutions to help prevent content from being stolen? I’d certainly appreciate it.

7. Posted by: Cheap Flight - 07/06/2013

Definitely believe that which you said. Your favorite reason appeared to be on the net the simplest thing to be aware of. I say to you, I definitely get irked while people think about worries that they just do not know about. You managed to hit the nail upon the top and defined out the whole thing without having side effect , people can take a signal. Will probably be back to get more. Thanks

8. Posted by: wedding you dream - 07/11/2013

I carry on listening to the rumor talk about getting boundless online grant applications so I have been looking around for the most excellent site to get one. Could you tell me please, where could i get some?

9. Posted by: Quit smoking - 07/11/2013

Hello, Neat post. There’s an issue with your website in web explorer, may test this¡K IE nonetheless is the marketplace leader and a huge component to people will omit your fantastic writing because of this problem.

Comments are closed for this entry.